Resort & Second-home Property Specialist
Become a dedicated expert to lifestyle real estate!
Over a third of all home sales are either vacation or investment properties. The resort and second-home market is filled with opportunities for REALTORS®, and the Resort & Second Home Property Specialist (RSPS) certification can prepare you to service the growing resort and second-home market.
By earning the RSPS certification, you'll be able to guide buyers through vacation home transactions, market properties to the right audience, and network with other REALTORS® who can help you build your business.
Home Sweet (Second) Home: Vacation, Investment, Luxury Properties
February 21, 2017 | 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
In this one-day RSPS core course, you’ll discover the skills you need to specialize in buying, selling or managing second homes in a resort, recreational and/or vacation destination. You’ll develop the know-how for helping buyers and sellers make informed decisions about second-home properties for use for vacation or investment. Course topics include resort and second-home tax laws, disaster prevention and recovery, flood insurance, working with both U.S. and international consumers, and more.
You'll learn about these topics and many more in this course:
- Building a resort and second-home business: Facets of the specialty, building your resort and second-home business, and networking for the resort and second-home specialist.
- The recreation and lifestyle market: Market trends, profile of vacation and investment homebuyers, and buying a home for student children.
- Helping clients and customers make the right choices: Choosing a location, finance strategies and analyzing investment value.
- Tax treatment of vacation and second homes: Converting a second home into a primary residence, the four-day rental rule and tax terminology.
- Trends and issues: Riparian rights and water use, mortgage interest deductibility and traffic congestion.
You'll walk away from this course with the ability to:
- Develop communication and marketing tactics for building customer and client relationships with long-distance and long time-frame buyers and sellers.
- Explain second-home financing and ownership options.
- Explain the IRS guidelines for tax treatment of second-home vacation and investment properties including the fourteen-day rental rule and its implications.
- Help clients meet their second-home objectives by evaluating and choosing the type of property, form of ownership and financing options.
- Help the client or customer analyze the investment value of a property.
- Identify the impact of trends and issues on business strategy and client and customer service.
- Recognize the impact of regulatory, insurance, growth and environmental issues on the purchase, sale and ownership of second-home vacation and investment properties.
- Use information about trends affecting second-home vacation and investment properties to develop and improve marketing strategies and tactics.
- Use market statistics and knowledge of the motivations for a second-home purchase to develop a business strategy and make business decisions about capturing and serving the market.
- Date and time: February 21, 2017 | 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Location: WRA headquarters live / classroom webcasts to Eau Claire, Mosinee, Sheboygan and Woodruff.
- Instructor: Dwayne Carte.
- Credits: This course can be credited toward earning the following designations or certifications: ABR, CIPS, CRS, PMN, RSPS or SRS. Also qualifies for one GRI live elective credit. Does not qualify for CE credit.
More RSPS information