Rental Resources

WRA legal resources

Wisconsin property management

Persons who are paid or otherwise compensated to rent property and negotiate and sign leases for the owner fall within the definition of a broker under Wis. Stat. § 452.01(2). This statute states that a broker includes “any person who for another, and for commission, money or other thing of value, negotiates or offers or attempts to negotiate a sale, exchange, purchase or rental of an interest or estate in real estate.” This definition includes persons negotiating the terms of a rental interest in real estate. If the negotiation of lease terms or the drafting and signing of leases for another is involved, then licensure is required. Brokers must have proper agency authority (typically a Property Management Agreement, a WB-37 Residential Listing Contract – Exclusive Right to Rent or an Exclusive Listing Contract Right to Rent Commercial Property) to provide property management services.

Wisconsin residential rental statutes and rules

Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection

As a consumer protection agency, the DATCP currently regulates residential rental practices. 

DATCP resources and fact sheets  

Updated WRA forms (2016)

Revised Forms:
  • WRA-5DRV Five Day Notice — Remedy Default or Vacate Premises
  • WRA-5DVN Five Day Notice to Vacate — Nuisance or Threat of Harm
  • WRA-14DN Fourteen Day Terminating Tenancy
  • WRA-28DN Twenty-eight Day Notice Terminating Tenancy (for month-to-month)
  • WRA-30DN Thirty Day Notice for Leases of More Than One Year
  • WRA-NRL Residential Lease (includes rules prohibiting criminal activity)
  • WRA-COSD Check-out Report/Security Deposit Withholding (enhanced instructions and usage pointers)
  • New form:
    • Five Day Notice to Vacate – Criminal Activity  
       To learn more about the legislation and the changes, read the February 2016 Legal Update, "Landlord/Tenant Legislation for 2016" at

    WRA forms and products

    Apartment associations

    NAR resources

    Federal Rental Housing Materials

    Farm Lease Information

    Copyright 1998 - 2016 Wisconsin REALTORS® Association. All rights reserved.

    Privacy Policy   |   Terms of Use  |   Accessibility