The big news from Apple this month is the release of the new iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. If you have not already secured one, and are thinking of upgrading, here are some highlights of the new features.
- Water resistant: You can be a little more carefree around water as both phones are designed (finally) with extreme water resistance. You could submerge them in up to 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes with no issues — although I wouldn't recommend it.
- No headphone jack: The headphone jack is conspicuously absent — but an adaptor is included that will allow for the use of standard 3.5mm headphones as well as a lightning connector that can be used with Apple's new AirPods. These wireless ear buds are sold separately.
- Stereo sound: There is a second speaker in place of where the headphone jack used to be for improved stereo sound.
- Color/design: The new design is more glossy in appearance, and in addition to the regular colors, the phones are also available in jet black, which is described as a darker and richer black.
- Improved display: Enjoy a display screen that is 25 percent brighter and more colorful.
- Home button redesign: The home button is force sensitive and no longer clicks when pushed but still provides the Touch ID technology. The new home button also utilizes a haptic feedback system but will not respond when the user is wearing gloves — a detail that is already causing some issues for many.
- Upgraded camera system: The iPhone 7 camera features better stabilization, a brighter lens, a faster 12-megapixel sensor, an upgraded image processing chip and quad-LED flash. In addition, the 7 Plus features a dual camera system, allowing for increased zoom without loss of image quality and wide-angle shots.
- Increased speed: The new A10 Fusion processor makes the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus 40 percent faster than the 6.
- Prolonged battery life: Apple claims that the updated batteries will extend the usage time by 1-2 hours.
The iPhone 7 starts at $649 with 32GB of storage — double the amount in the previous base model. For $849, you can get up to 256GB. The iPhone 7 Plus starts at $769 (32GB) and goes up to $969.